If you are just starting out on your wine journey and looking to purchase more than a few bottles on your trip to France, then you need to mull about a few things. All wine needs to be stored at optimal conditions and that usually involves storing them in temperatures that range from 40 F to 66 F. Wines come in white and red, and then there’s rose, with each wine representing a nuanced taste. And if you do not take enough care to store these bottles at the requisite temperature, then there is a chance that they would turn.
And while your first thought would be to plunk them into your refrigerator, which would not be advisable either, on account of all the other food articles that may be stored in the same as well as the odours that come along with it. It is important, nay, essential that you store your bottles in an odour-free zone and one that is airtight, temperature controlled and comes with all the optimal conditions that you need for storing your wine safely and securely.
Must read : best built-in Wine cooler
You can always purchase a wine cooler or go for a wine refrigerator; there are a lot of affordable models out there and depending on how many bottles you are looking to store each time, you can choose the apt model. However, if you are wondering as to what differences there are between a wine cooler and a refrigerator then do read on.
Differences between Refrigerators and Wine Coolers
Here are a few differences but it is worthwhile pointing out that both wine coolers and refrigerators come with similar functionalities but with subtle differences. Just check out some of the key differences.
- Bottles: It goes without saying that you can store more bottles in a wine refrigerator than you could with your standard sized wine cooler. But it also depends on the size of the bottle that you plan on storing. With the standard sized bottles, you should be able to store 36+ bottles in a standard wine refrigerator whereas you would be able to store at most 22 with a standard sized wine cooler.
- Humidity: This is something that all refrigerators do, except that when it comes to wine refrigerators, the temperature and humidity conditions are better controlled. Humidity is an important factor that you would have to consider especially if you are considering ageing your wine and letting it mature further. In that case, you would be better off with a wine refrigerator than anything else.
- Temperature: Most wine refrigerators enable you to store both your white and reds at optimal temperatures. Granted that there are more than a few wine coolers that allow you to do the same but the difference here is that you can customize your settings and ensure that your wines are stored at optimal temperatures.
- On the side: This is one advantage that wine refrigerators have over wine coolers; in a wine refrigerator, you have to store your wine bottles on the side. This is mainly so that the corks do not dry out and in the process, shrink and allow fresh air in. This is what happens when you store your wine bottles for long in a cooler, though to be fair, there are now more than a few new wine coolers which feature shelves for storing the bottles on their side. The other reason is that you get to store your wine bottles in your refrigerator with a slight slant, so as to keep the sediments at the bottom and prevent it from affecting the overall taste.
- Technical issues: The good part about wine refrigerators is that you can always get your electrician to repair the same or to check it out and if required, get some of the parts replaced. Unfortunately, with most wine coolers – the moment they break down, you may as well turn it in for scrap and go in for a new wine cooler all over again.
- Customization: You can always customize your wine refrigerator easily, and even upgrade it to a bigger model if you want to. As it is, it provides you with the complete solution that you need for storing your white and red wines. Wine coolers are good but some of them tend to make a racket when in operation.
These are some of the key differences between a wine refrigerator and a wine cooler; while both enable you to store your wines safely and securely, you may well have to choose one over the other. And whichever one that you go for, make sure that it is the product that meets all your current requirements. Additionally, you may also want to make sure that it comes with the requisite warranty as well.
Check Out best wine coolers 2019